Earlier this year the deaths of brother and sister Bobby and Christi Shepherd in Corfu featured heavily in the news. The cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty boiler in an outbuilding while they were on holiday. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and it is so important to be aware of the signs – even when you are on holiday.
If you are about to go away on holiday make sure that you, your family and friends are all aware for the signs (gas safety tips courtesy of the Gas Safe Register):
- Ask if the gas appliances in your accommodation have been safety checked and serviced. If you’re holidaying in the UK in cottages or caravans the landlords must do this by law – so ask the landlord for an up-to-date gas safety record
- Carbon monoxide alarms are rare overseas. If you take one away with you make sure that it’s suitable for travel
- Appliances in holiday accommodation will be different to those you’re used to at home. If you’re not sure how they work, read the instructions, or ask your holiday rep for help
- Gas cookers and gas BBQ’s should not be used for heating and require adequate ventilation when in use
- Recognise the signs of dodgy gas appliances. Black marks or stains around the appliance, lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue flames and too much condensation are all signs that gas appliances aren’t working properly
- Don’t mistake carbon monoxide poisoning with other holiday sicknesses, such as food poisoning, dehydration or hangover. The main six symptoms are: headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness
If you smell gas or think there might be a leak:
- TURN OFF THE GAS AT THE METER
- EXTINGUISH NAKED FLAMES
- OPEN THE WINDOWS
- LEAVE THE AREA
- INFORM THE OWNER OR HOLIDAY REP IMMEDIATELY
- SEEK MEDICAL ADVICE IF YOU FEEL UNWELL
Maintracts are proud to be members of the Gas Safe Register. If you would like to find out more about their work visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk.