Headaches, dizziness and nausea are all common symptoms of the flu, but they are also a sign of something much worse – carbon monoxide poisoning.
Approximately 4,000 people visit hospital every year with CO symptoms. The main signs include:
- Passing out
If you are suffering from these symptoms (you should go to hospital immediately if you collapse or pass out), go outside and get some fresh air. If symptoms improve then you could have a problem with CO poisoning. Make sure you that you also check those who live with you and any pets you have.
If you think that there is a leak in your home open all windows and doors, switch off the gas supply and seek medical attention. You must also call 0800 111 999 to report the leak – do not call from inside the home, go outside. Do not strike any matches or turn on any gas appliances and do not turn any electrical switches on or off – this includes doorbells and light switches.
There are things hat you can do to protect yourself from CO poisoning:
- Ensure your gas appliances are serviced annually (Gas Safety Check)
- Make sure your gas boiler is serviced annually
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home
- If travelling buy a travel carbon monoxide alarm
Remember – if you suspect a leak:
- Get you and your family out of the premises
- Turn off the gas supply if you can
- Do not turn on any electrical switches or ignite any flames
- Call 0800 111 999 and report the leak
- Get to the hospital to have your symptoms checked
Call 020 8682 2244 if you are due a boiler or gas safety check.