It’s getting close to that time of year again when we start packing our bags and heading off for a well needed break. Whether you’re staying in a tent in the middle of a soaking wet field or a five star villa in the Caribbean, it’s important to be gas safe.
If you are staying in rented accommodation, such as a B&B, caravan, chalet or caravan, you won’t always know how often the gas appliances have been safety checked, if at all. As we’ve mentioned previously, it is a landlord’s responsibility to check all gas appliances in a rented accommodation – that includes holiday accommodation.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous gas that is produced by the incomplete burning of gas, liquid gas, oil, coal and wood. If you are exposed, it can seriously damage your health and be potentially fatal.
To ensure that you are safe on your holiday, make sure you follow the Gas Safe Register’s top tips on holiday gas safety:
- Ask if the gas appliances in your accommodation have been safety checked and serviced. If you’re holidaying in the UK in cottages or caravans the landlords must do this by law – so ask the landlord for an up-to-date gas safety record
- Carbon monoxide alarms are rare overseas. If you take one away with you make sure that it’s suitable for travel
- Appliances in holiday accommodation will be different to those you’re used to at home. If you’re not sure how they work, read the instructions, or ask your holiday rep for help
- Gas cookers and gas BBQ’s should not be used for heating and require adequate ventilation when in use
- Recognise the signs of dodgy gas appliances. Black marks or stains around the appliance, lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue flames and too much condensation are all signs that gas appliances aren’t working properly
- Don’t mistake carbon monoxide poisoning with other holiday sicknesses, such as food poisoning, dehydration or hangover. The main six symptoms are: headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness
If you smell gas or think there might be a leak:
- TURN OFF THE GAS AT THE METER
- EXTINGUISH NAKED FLAMES
- OPEN THE WINDOWS
- LEAVE THE AREA
- INFORM THE OWNER OR HOLIDAY REP IMMEDIATELY
- SEEK MEDICAL ADVICE IF YOU FEEL UNWELL
Maintracts are proud to be members of the Gas Safe Register. If you would like to find out more about their work visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk
Image by fcl1971