Many tenants are unaware that their property should have a gas safety check once a year, and that it is their landlord’s responsibility to arrange it, but what is a gas safety check? And what should you expect when you move in to a new property?

It is a landlords responsibility, by law, to ensure that your property is gas safe. No matter how long the tenancy is (including holiday lets), your landlord is required to:

  • Maintain pipework, appliances and flues provided for your use in a safe condition.
  • Carry out a 12 monthly gas safety check on each gas appliance/flue. A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use.
  • Provide you with a record of the annual gas safety check within 28 days of the check being completed or if you’re a new tenant before you move in. If a property or room is hired out for less than 28 days at a time, it is also permissible for your landlord to display a copy of the current Landlords Gas Safety Record in a prominent position within the property. (information courtesy of Gas Safe Register)

What will they check?
An annual gas safety check is required because a faulty gas appliance, blocked flues or dodgy fittings can lead to leaks, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. All of which are terrifying and life threatening. Appliances and gas fittings will be inspected and tested ensuring that they are safe to use.

How do you know if your engineer is registered?
A gas safety check should only be performed by a gas safe registered engineer. You can make sure that your engineer is registered by asking him or her for their registered ID card. All Maintracts engineers are Gas Safe Registered.

Gas Safe Engineer ID Example

When the engineer performs the gas safety check, they will record the details of the inspection carried out. This is the gas safety record and will list all of the appliances and gas fittings checked – please note that any gas appliances that you own are your responsibility and not of the landlord. You should receive a copy of the previous inspection within 28 days of moving in to your new home. If your landlord refuses to provide you with this information you can complain to the Health and Safety Executive.

If you are a landlord and would like to arrange a gas safety check, or would like to find out more about our services please get in touch.

If you would like to find out more about landlord responsibilities please visit the Gas Safe Register website.