It’s important to know the signs of faulty wiring, especially when you can’t see the majority of wiring in your home. Faulty wiring can lead to shocks and fires so learn the signs and be one step ahead.

If you notice any of the following signs contact your electrician ASAP!

  • If your circuit breaker trips frequently it could mean that it’s overloaded or there is a fault in the wiring.
  • If you feel a shock from touching an appliance there could be a fault with the appliance or wiring.
  • Is there a buzzing noise coming from any switch or outlets? If so it could mean there is a problem with the device. It can also mean that there is lose wiring in the box.
  • If your lights keep on dimming it might be a sign that the circuits are overloaded or the wiring is faulty. Flickering lights are also a sign of wire damage.
  • Sparks are also a sign; if sparks appear frequently when you plug an appliance indicate a fault with the circuit or outlet.
  • Can you smell burnt plastic? If so it means that your wiring could be damaged. Contact an electrician immediately as burning could lead to a fire.

If you notice any of the above problems contact Maintracts who will be able to advise on the next best steps.

Photo by Mike Gieson