What’s the best way to unblock a sink? Check out our budget friendly DIY solutions.
- Run some warm water in the sink
- Place the plunger over the sink hole – make sure nothing is preventing it from sitting flush against the sink
- If you have any exposed holes in the sink make sure they are covered with a wet cloth
- Using an up and down motion, move the plunger to suck out what’s stuck inside the pipe
- Force from the plunger should dislodge any small blockage. If it is clear the warm water will drain away
Baking soda and salt:
- Remove any water that’s in the sink
- Mix 1 cup of baking soda and ½ cup of salt
- Pour the mixture down the drain. You can use a spatula or knife to force the mixture down the drain
- Let the mixture sit for a minimum of 2 – 3 hours, ideally overnight
- Once it has been left to do it’s magic, pour boiling water down the sink
Baking soda and vinegar:
- Pour ½ a cup of baking soda down the drain
- Pour ½ cup of white vinegar down the drain – do not mix the two beforehand, they react very quickly and you won’t have a chance to get it to the sink quick enough!
- The mixture should take effect quite quickly; make sure that you follow with boiling water to flush out the blockage
- You may need to repeat this process a few times until the blockage is clear
If you have tried all the above suggestions and your sink is still blocked then call a plumber. Maintracts are available 24/7 – if you have a blocked drain get in touch.
Image by Thiago Felipe Festa