We often read reports about CO (carbon monoxide) poisoning in the press, but it only really hits home when it happens to those close to you.
A friend of a member of the Maintracts team recently had a close call when they heard a beeping noise coming from a CO alarm in their home. They had totally forgotten it was there, sat on top of a cupboard, but it probably saved their lives.
When they heard the beeping the immediately called the number on the back of the alarm. An engineer came to visit their home and reported that their cooker was leaking high levels of carbon monoxide in their home. Without the alarm the outcome could have been fatal.
With prices starting at £10 for an alarm, there really isn’t any reason why you shouldn’t have one in your home. It’s also very easy to confuse CO poisoning with the flu, so make sure you are aware of the following signs:
- Passing out
If you smell gas or think there might be a leak:
- TURN OFF THE GAS AT THE METER
- EXTINGUISH NAKED FLAMES
- OPEN THE WINDOWS
- LEAVE THE AREA
- SEEK MEDICAL ADVICE IF YOU FEEL UNWELL
Maintracts are proud to be members of the Gas Safe Register. If you would like to find out more about their work visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk.