This week Thomas Cook was told it should “hang its head in shame” following the deaths of two children on holiday in Corfu.
Brother and sister Bobby and Christi Shepherd from Horbury, West Yorkshire, died at the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel when they suffered carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty boiler in an outbuilding.
The verdict of unlawful killing has relieved the parents of Bobby and Christi, with their mother Sharon Wood saying that she would “always hold Thomas Cook responsible for their deaths”.
A chamber maid found both children, their parents Neil and Sharon were found in comas but survived.
Maintracts says: it’s easy to go on holiday and forget to be gas safe, but it’s important to be aware of the dangers of CO poisoning. You can find a guide to being gas safe on holiday here, and we advise that you buy a travel carbon monoxide alarm.
If you smell gas or think there might be a leak:
- TURN OFF THE GAS AT THE METER
- EXTINGUISH NAKED FLAMES
- OPEN THE WINDOWS
- LEAVE THE AREA
- INFORM THE OWNER OR HOLIDAY REP IMMEDIATELY
- SEEK MEDICAL ADVICE IF YOU FEEL UNWELL
Maintracts are proud to be members of the Gas Safe Register. If you would like to find out more about their work visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk.